Sunday 9 March 2008

More on moving house

I have handed in my notice! Unfortunately, there was a 24 hour delay between my letting agency finding out and my flatmate finding out. Oops. Now I have a somewhat sour flatmate. Who will remain in the flat. The lovely, lovely, big flat I found and quite like. Oh well, at least she gets to spread out even more once I’m gone.

What is it with London and never being able to stay anywhere for more than two years maximum? Or is that just me? Mind you, it’s usually people that are to blame, not the houses themselves. People are a pain to live with, I’ve come to realise this once again. I don’t seem to be able to do it. I still have a friend’s words ringing in my ears. Yeah that’s because you’re a bit weird, with your fierce independence. You just can’t compromise about anything with any flatmate, no matter how nice they are! Yep, he probably had a point there. The prospect of moving out, being able to find a flat by myself and leaving my stuff lying around everywhere is quite appealing at this moment in time. I can just say I shall take this flat, put my deposit down and move in. Nobody to consult with. Nobody to agree with. No man is an island. Wrong, some people are! I will be an island with my own flat. And I won’t be fucking Ibiza. I’ll be Galapagos. Maybe. Galapagos kitted out in Ikea. With tortoises and dinosaurs.

No more of these pointless dinner conversations. No more how was you day? When I know for a fact that neither my or my flatmate actually wants to know what happened at the other’s work. No more squeezing past her horrid, horrid boyfriend in the kitchen. No more zero freezer space.

Instead I’ll be crammed into some kind of studio room enjoying my own company. If I want to talk to someone, I can either phone them or they can come round. If I don’t want to talk to anyone, I won’t have to. If I want to drag hay and woodshavings onto the carpet, I can. No more questions about why the washing machine is full of horse hair and no more hands off my looroll!

And I can have people round for dinnerparties if I feel like it! Heck, I can even have two dinnerparties! One for the horse-friends and one for the other ones. And they won’t be glowered at by flatmate and her biochemist pals.

2 comments:

Richard said...

Well done!

'Cos I'm moving on up. You're moving on out.
Movin' on up. Nothing can stop me.
Moving on up. You're moving on out.
Time to break free. Nothing can stop me.

fengshite said...

NOOOOOH! RICHARD! NOOOH! NOT M PEOPLE!!

honestly ...

looked at 3 flats already. well, studios/glorified self-contained bedsits.

#1 was only accesible via a fire exit through a very long and dingy alleyway. it also smelled of toilet. not keen.

#2 was in the house i used to live in. different flat though. i used to marvel at that flat through the window. went there today ... its nice but not as nice as i remembered. and smaller. and nowhere to put my stuff/furniture really cos all the walls have big windows/fireplace that doesn't work/doors/heating on them

#3 was in the same house again. quite cute but TINY!


i found another one that looks ace but they wont do viewings until next week :oS may pester them again tomorrow to try and change that. was told the entrance is indeed on the high street (not a back alley!) but estate agents are notorious for lying so ... hm ... flat does look fabulous though!

and my flatmate really does hate me now i think. whoops.